Follow us on Substack

7/31/11

Is it time for a salutary drink?

Salutary
Pronounced:
<sal-u-tare-e>

Means:
Wholesome; healthful; promoting health
.
My use:
Eating fruits and vegetables are salutary for your health.  They give you energy.

Literary use:
By Virginia Woolf
Thought and theory must precede all salutary action; yet action is nobler in itself than either thought or theory.


Memory trick:
Salut . ary
Salut (reminds of) = Salute ( a cheer )
ary (sounds like) = airy – air ( good for health )
Salute . airy

Listen: Salutary

.
..
...
....



Nugatory
Pronounced: <new-ga-tor-re>
Means:  Insignificant. Ineffectual. Trifling.
My use:  I think that pennies are nugatory. You cannot buy any thing for a penny. 
Listen: Nugatory

Beatific
Pronounced: <be-a-tif-ick>
Means:  Showing great joy.  Blissful appearance.
My use:  You look beatific today. You must have scored well on your test! 
Listen: Beatific


Presage
Pronounced:  <press-edge>
Means:  A feeling about something that will happen. Intuition.
My use: I have a presage that this will be a good meeting.  We always good meetings on Friday.
Listen: Presage 


Munificence
Pronounced: <mune-nif-it-sents>
Means:  Very generous. To give a lot.

My use::  Your munificence impresses me. You spent a lot of money on us.
Listen: Munificence


© 2011 NewWordADay

Subscribe at: NewWordADay

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMMUTABLE

  IMMUTABLE <Im-mute-ah-bul> Unalterable; permanent; total; An unchangeable and undeniable absolute An immutable law never changes bec...